Tuesday, 13 June 2017

READING WITH MY THREE YEAR OLD | Book Haul (June)


As well as books being a large part of my life, they also play quite the role for all three of the family members in our little family: mummy, daddy and our three year old son, Alexander. Having read with Alexander from day one, he seems to have become quite the bookish child, and so I thought I'd start sharing a bit of Alexander's book journey here on my blog.

Today I'm sharing with you a mini book haul of Alexander's - two new titles for his ever-growing book collection. We're big library borrowers in our household, especially when it comes to books for Alexander, but we do try to take a trip to the bookshop once a month and pick out a new book (or two).

Spinderella has a passion for football, but she's not sure how many spiders should be on each team or how to count the goals! Luckily Spinderella's Hairy Godmother is on hand to help...

Loosely based around the tale of Cinderella, the story follows Spinderella as the learns to count to the number 20. I think Alexander opted for this book as he's interested in spiders (although a little scared of them at times) and was happy to learn of the counting element upon reading as he absolutely loves numbers. This book would be great as an introduction to numbers, especially as it involves counting to twenty, not ten like a lot of counting books do. We love Julia Donaldson in our household, and whilst this isn't our favourite books of hers, we do enjoy the story overall.

Nibbles, the book-eating monster, has nibbled his way out of his own book and now he's causing mischief and mayhem in other people's stories. Look out!

At the time of writing this post, we haven't read this with Alexander, although I did give it a read myself and absolutely loved it! Nibbles is a book monster who escapes the confines of his own book and ventures in to some well known fairy tales wreaking havoc. There are a number of flaps and interactive elements inside this book, which I'm sure will make it a fun read with little hands and curious minds. I'd highly recommend this picture book; one of my recent favourites.
-------
If you have any picture book recommendations, I'd love to hear them!
SHARE:

10 comments

  1. Cute books. I was terrified of bugs as a kid, so I don’t think I could have handled the spider one, even if the spiders are smiling. :)

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that you're sharing more of Alexander's books! I am fast becoming a Julia Donaldson fan myself. We recently borrowed The Giant Jumperee from the library and then I ended up getting us a copy we loved it so much. I think there was an earlier edition that came out many years ago illustrated by someone else, but we adore the Helen Oxenbury one :) Not sure which is available in the UK, but I highly recommend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo... I'll have to look into that one Christine. Julia Donaldson has such fun with her writing!

      Delete
  3. Nibbles: The Book Monster sounds adorable and I hope he loves it! Spinderella looks cute too. My 7 year old has decided he's scared of spiders and it's driving me crazy so I might have to get that one and see if that helps. At 3 I think his favorite book was Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh though we were also reading a lot of Llama Llama books at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've gotten a couple of Llama Llama books out from the library and they've been well received. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. I love this! Wyatt loves books too. Both of these are adorable!

    This post reminds me that I haven't done a Wyatt reading post in a long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully we'll be hearing about Wyatt's reading sometime soon then :-P

      Delete
  5. These both sound great. I can't wait until my little guy is old enough to actually get something out of the books we read. We've come a long way, and he definitely loves books, but I know he doesn't understand the stories yet. I'm looking forward to actually discussing what we're reading (but I guess he has to have more than a five-word vocabulary first...) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely sharing books with your little one when they're more involved in the experience. Although, as bookworms, it's a special bonding experience from the get go, isn't it?!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig