Saturday, 29 April 2017

Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon (Master Post)

Today I'm taking part in Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon - one of my favourite events in the book community - and thought I'd kick of the day by sharing my TBR for the event. This will also be my master post, with updates noted here and on Twitter throughout the readathon.


This time around I'm keeping my books, as well as goals, pretty simple: I want to make good progress with Perfect by Cecelia Ahern. This is Ahern's newest release, and the sequel to her first YA book, Flawed. I have actually read Flawed, however I am rereading it in the run up to Perfect as a bit of a memory jogger (I have to do this with any series I read).

Due to time zones, the readathon officially starts at 1pm here in the UK, but I decided to get a bit of a head start this morning by beginning my reread of Flawed... At the time of writing this, and most likely the start of the readathon also, I am just under half way through this. If I could finish both of these titles today, then that would be amazing, but we'll see how it goes.

I don't read for the full 24 hours of the readathon, but I do block out solid chunks throughout the day itself and read, read, read. It is unlikely that I'll read right up to 1pm on Sunday, to make the full 24 hours, however I will go to bed normal time here and wake up with a little extra reading in the morning.

So those are my plans!

UPDATE ONE: 4.00pm (End of hour 3 / Start of hour 4)
I started the readathon on page 185 of Flawed by Cecelia Ahern, and by the start of hour 3 I had completed it... Meaning I read 217 pages in the first two hours. For the third hour I actually took a reading break, because I had been reading a lot longer than just two hours of the day so far. We're at the start of hour 4 now and I'm back in the reading zone... Although I may be deviating from plan slightly!
Hours read: 2
Pages read: 217
Books complete: 1 (Flawed by Cecelia Ahern)

UPDATE TWO: 9.45pm (9th hour)
I'm calling it quits for the day, with hopes of reading more upon waking up tomorrow. Ending the day on page 159 of Perfect by Cecelia Ahern. I did hope to read a bit more today, however I have a nasty dry cough at the moment, and I'm at the point of day now where I can't focus on anything but the pain in throat. Lame excuse, right?! Anyway, I mentioned deviating from plan in update one, and that's because I dipped into Pride & Prejudice, which I've been rereading all month long. I managed just 30 pages there though before my family returned from the tabletop gaming event they had been at. I stopped reading for a good chunk of the evening once they returned, and got back to books when my son went to bed.
Hours read: 5
Pages read: 406
Books complete: Still 1 (Flawed by Cecelia Ahern)

FINAL UPDATE
I finished my participation in the readathon at 11.00am UK time - having read for 8 of the 22 hours that had passed. Overall I'm really happy with how the readathon went; I finished both Flawed & Perfect by Cecelia Ahern.
Hours read: 8
Pages read: 834
Books complete: 2 (Flawed & Perfect by Cecelia Ahern)

If you also took part in the readathon, then a big bookish congrats to you!
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Sounds like you've had a great start to your readathon! Hopefully you wake up feeling refreshed and ready to read some more. I wish my time zone allowed me to stretch the readathon into Sunday, but I'm pretty much done whenever I give in and go to bed. Enjoy the rest of your readathon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such a fun readathon experience this time round - and it sounds like yours was pretty successful also! I think I'm quite lucky that the readathon works how it does in my time zone, as I know I wouldn't get as much reading done otherwise!

      Delete
  2. I hope you had a successful readathon! This was my first time participating. I read 5 different books and finished 3 of them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I hope you had a great time taking part! This was my third time now and I absolutely love it! Yay for a successful readathon!

      Delete
  3. Nice job on the readathon! There's no way I could go 24 hours straight or even close to that so your approach seems like a good one to me! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hats off to those that read for even half of the 24 hours - I don't know how they do it!

      Thanks! I hope you had a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you had a great readathon day!! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I really wanted to participate but had too much going on this weekend. I'm definitely participating in Bout of Books in a couple weeks to make up for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Brandie! I'm still umming and ahhing over Bouts of Books.

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig