Thursday, 23 March 2017

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

| I received by copy of Sometimes I Lie via Netgalley for review purposes |

BLURB
My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me:

1. I’m in a coma.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore.
3. Sometimes I lie.

MY THOUGHTS
Wow! I don't even know where to start with this review - on the one hand I want to spew out all my thoughts and on the other I just want you to go and pick up the book yourself and discover the brilliance of it.

We meet Amber, the narrator of the story, in hospital. As the blurb indicates, she is in a coma, and a portion of the narrative is told via Amber's thoughts in her coma. This in itself makes for pretty eerie reading, add to that the unfolding mystery of how Amber ended up in a coma, as well as diary entries from many year priors and you've got yourself one serious page turner. 

The plot of Sometimes I Lie seemed pretty straight forward to begin with, but as with any good psychological thriller, you shouldn't get comfortable in your knowledge and what you think is happening, especially with an unreliable narrator.

I know some dislike an unreliable narrator, but in this book it totally makes the complex story that is unfolding. All of the characters within Sometimes I Lie have substance, however as you reader you do feel like you get to know Amber the most and connect with her even. You are lured in by her words, and you forget that third point from the blurb - 'sometimes I lie'.

The plot is amazing. The characters are so dark and deeply developed. Alice Feeney has a writing style that is not only detailed but also a beauty to read at times, lyrical even. I would definitely be on the look out for more work by Alice Feeney; it is kind of hard to believe that this is her debut novel!

The year is still quite young, but I expect to see this title in my top ten of the year.

If you're looking to get stuck into a good psychological thriller that'll keep you on your toes, then I highly recommend picking up Sometimes I Lie.

LINKS
SHARE:

6 comments

  1. Wow! A potential top ten. I think I had better add Sometimes I Lie to my TBR list. I kind of like an unreliable narrator now and then. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally see why some avoid unreliable narrators, but when written well, they make a great voice.

      Delete
  2. I love unreliable narrators! I’ve seen a lot of people raving about the awesomeness of this book recently. I’m glad you liked it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I desperately need to read this! It sounds amazing! I'm intrigued by the narrator being in a coma and just super curious about the whole thing. I'll definitely be checking it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katherine - if you do read it, I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig