Tuesday, 6 December 2016

A Redbird Christmas by Fannie Flagg


BLURB
Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who delivers mail by boat, the store owner who nurses a broken heart, the ladies of the Mystic Order of the Royal Polka Dots Secret Society, who do clandestine good works. And he meets a little redbird named Jack, who is at the center of this tale of a magical Christmas when something so amazing happened that those who witnessed it have never forgotten it. Once you experience the wonder, you too will never forget A Redbird Christmas.

MY THOUGHTS
If you're looking for a cosy, heart warming, slightly cliché read this Christmas, then A Redbird Christmas is the book for you.

As the book begins we meet Oswald T. Campbell, a lonely man who is coasting along living in Chicago, when he is informed that he doesn't have much time left and that another frigid winter in the windy city could very well be his last. After his diagnosis, and getting his very few affairs in order, Oswald finds himself in Lost River, a small town in the sunny south - doctors orders.

A Redbird Christmas is the kind of book that doesn't have a plot as such, more a character driven book where you're enveloped in a town and watching everything unfold. In this case, we see how Oswald's life changes drastically over the course of a year, as well as the other residents you come to know and love within Lost River.

Short and sweet, A Redbird Christmas is the kind of book that is full of wonder and charm, and that I see myself returning to in Christmases to come. I'm so glad to have started my Christmas reading with this title, and it has definitely put me in a festive mood.

LINKS
SHARE:

12 comments

  1. I actually read this a few years ago. I had forgotten all about it! It was fun, but not memorable. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely get what you mean about it not being a memorable read. I really enjoyed it, and would return to it being on my shelves, however if I were to donate it then it would definitely filter from my memory over time.

      Delete
  2. That cover is so beautiful! It's practically asking to be read with a cozy blanket and a hot drink. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the sound of this and it is definitely going on my list to read, if not this Christmas the next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely story to be immersed in - I hope you enjoy if you get to read it :-)

      Delete
  4. This looks like a very heartwarming read, and a great Christmas book! Sometimes those hit the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Cosy, heart warming, slightly cliché " is a good description. I listened to the audio version years ago and thought it was a perfect holiday read! Wonder if I'll have time to revisit it this year. Thanks for reminding me:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely one of those holiday reads you can return to every so often... More about the atmosphere and characters, rather than plot, and so returning to it would be like revisiting friends. Glad you enjoyed when you read it!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig