Thursday, 13 October 2016

All Fall Down by Tom Bale


BLURB
You tried to save a life. Now you’re fighting to save your own. 

It should have been an idyllic day for the Turner family – until a dying man, beaten beyond all recognition, arrives at their home, uttering the words,
HELP ME.

Rob and Wendy Turner and their children try to explain away the horrific scene as being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but in the days that follow their lives are threatened in ways they could never imagine.

The family is unaware that they are being watched by someone with their own terrifying agenda, who will stop at nothing to fulfil their own twisted desires.

But when hidden secrets come rushing to the surface, it’s clear not everything is as it seems in this happy family.
Are the Turners a victim of circumstance – or does the key to their fate lie closer to home?

PLOT
From the very beginning this story is full of intrigue, with suspicious circumstances and leading sentences; All Fall Down is a gripping read and that is largely due to the plot and suspenseful way in which everything unfolds.

After the Turner family discover a man who has clearly been tortured and beaten, dying in their own back garden, suspicions arouse and the family are on alert, especially when the letters start arriving and shifty character encounters are made.

The situation in which the family are put would be hard for anyone to endure, but even more so when it becomes apparent that the family have many more problems closer to home to deal with also.

The pacing of the plot was really well done, with events and secrets being revealed with perfect timing. Not only are the readers in the dark, but so are some of the other characters, which always makes for interesting reading.

I did have one issue with the plot; it marked All Fall Down from a 5* to a 4. The point is quite a major one in the conclusion of the story - a twist basically - and that's why I haven't shared it, as I don't want to include spoilers. I felt this plot point let the story down for me as I saw it coming, but I really didn't want it to happen. I know that's really vague, but that's the best way I can word it. It didn't ruin the telling of the story, and it evolved the plot well, I just didn't want to see the story going down that route.

CHARACTERS
There was really good character development within All Fall Down, particularly in the way of family dynamics. Having a good understanding of the Turner family dynamics is crucial to the plot, and without that the reader would have felt a disconnect from what is a powerful plot line.

Rob and Wendy, the parents within the Turner family, are experiencing some marital issues when we meet the family in the book, and I felt these were touched upon fairly lightly, but in a strong manner.

The character I most enjoyed in All Fall Down was Georgia. Georgia has quite the backstory, and I felt like this was developed well throughout the book, with a particular point in the story really heightening the personality of Georgia.

WRITING
All Fall Down is the first book of Tom Bale's that I've read, and I'm very much keen to look in to his backlog of books.

The author's way of writing really grips you from start to finish, writing with intrigue and page turning suspense, as well as possessing the ability to craft the lighter moments with a feather and the more gritty and graphic story elements with a knife's edge.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
A must read psychological thriller!

LINKS
-------
CONNECT WITH ME | | GOODREADS | TWITTER | BLOGLOVIN' |
SHARE:

8 comments

  1. Interesting! I have this one but wasn't sure I wanted to give it a go. Sounds like it's worth it! Great review, Jade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you've already got a copy, I definitely recommend giving it a read!

      Delete
  2. I've been liking psychological thrillers lately and this one sounds good! I'm curious now what the family secrets are and how they relate to the beaten man. Nice that there's good char development. I've had that happen too where a story goes in a direction you hope it won't so I definitely get your disappointment with that, but it sound otherwise like a pretty good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb and premise definitely raise many questions. This is book available in ebook format and I'd recommend giving it a read.

      Yes, sometimes as readers we have hopes whereas the author has different plans for the plot. It can be disappointing, but luckily it didn't impact the story in this case, just my own hopes!

      Delete
  3. This one sounds awesome, but very intense! Thanks for pointing it out. I do like a good psychological thriller sometimes. Wow, now I'm curious about this one...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this one or any from the author bur I am always looking for a good psychological thriller. Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psychological thrillers can be hit or miss, but All Fall Down is a great read!

      Delete

Blog Layout Designed by pipdig